Lifejacket swim test
Promote public safety by participating in North Carolina swim tests to help UL evaluate lifejackets.
Test subject information and payment
UL will pay you $30.00, up to a maximum of $100.00, depending on your age and size, per session for participating in its ongoing testing of lifejackets. Private testing takes place in an indoor, heated pool at UL’s Research Triangle Park facility. Testing is normally conducted Mondays through Thursdays between 1:00 PM and 5:30 PM, but other test times may be arranged. Each testing session takes approximately 15 to 30 minutes. Everyone is welcome, though UL has a special need for:
- Adults of any weight with chest sizes of 52 inches or more
- Adults weighing at least 90 pounds with chest sizes of 30 inches or less
- Adults of any weight with chest sizes of 30 inches or more
- Children weighing 30 to 90 pounds with chest sizes of 29 inches or less
- Infants weighing less than 30 pounds with any chest size
All test subjects must be able to perform the following skills while wearing a lifejacket.
- Float in a relaxed attitude on their back.
- Put their face in the water.
Test subjects weighing more than 50 pounds must also be able to perform the following skills while wearing a lifejacket.
- Jump feet first into the water from a height of 3 feet without holding their nose.
- Put their face in the water and hold their breath for at least 10 seconds.
- Float in a relaxed attitude on their stomach.
For more information please contact Pam Stone at +1-919-549-1840 or Pamela.T.Stone@ul.com.
Registering for swim tests is easy and only takes a few minutes. Start by completing the online registration form below. Upon submitting this registration form, a confirmation page containing 2 Swim Test Release and Liability Waivers (one for children, one for adults), will appear. These releases must be printed and signed in order for you and/or your children to participate in the testing program. Please bring these documents with you to the facility the day of the test. These documents are also provided below.
The day of the test
Once your swim test has been scheduled keep the following details in mind.
- If you will be late or must cancel a scheduled test session please call Pam Stone at +1-919-549-1840 as soon as possible.
- Please arrive 5 to 10 minutes early to allow time to change into swim attire before testing begins.
- You must wear proper swimming attire (i.e. no cut-offs, etc.)
- You must provide your own towels and toiletries.
- Subjects must remain in the waiting area until they are called into the pool area.
- Parents must accompany their children to the swim test and monitor them at all times.
- Parents may be required to accompany children under 2 years old into the pool.
- We may take photos or videos of you and/or your children during the test session. By participating in the swim test you grant permission for UL to use these photos or videos on our website or on printed materials. However, your names and contact information will not be disclosed outside of UL.
- Please don’t ask us how to put a device on, as this is part of the test.
- Please do not discuss the test session with other subjects.
- We will try to test other family members during the same visit if possible.
Take I-40 to the Davis Drive Exit. North on Davis Drive to Laboratory Drive. Right on Laboratory Drive. UL is at end of Laboratory Drive. Follow signs to Swim Test area.